Summer on Texel
Sunshine and freedom; no commitments yet so much to do on Texel! Relaxation on the beach, swimming in the sea. Finishing your day watching the sunset from the terrace of one of the beach pavilions...Take a look at our summer tips:
- In summer, the blossoms of millions of wild orchids can be admired on Texel. Not only in nature reserves, but also just on the side of the road.
- Special salt tolerant plants, such as sea asters and thrift, transform De Slufter during the summer months into a lilac and purple colored marshland.
- Pay a visit to the spoonbill colony. These migrating birds can be found in the biggest colony of the Netherlands, on Texel, until mid July.
Texel has 30 kilometers of beach. The seawater quality is excellent and during peak season life guards are patrolling the eight most popular beaches. Read more about the Texel beaches.
Festivals and Events
Summer on Texel also stands for festivals and events, which are known for their high quality and relaxed ambiance. A select few:
- 15th of June 2013: Round Texel, world's biggest catamaran race
- 22-23th of June 2013: Midzomerschans, a cultural mid summer festival at the Sconce fortification
- 11th of July 2013: Texel Sheep's Day in Den Hoorn
- 13th of July 2013: SunBeats (formerly Island Samba), a relaxed dance event on the beach at Paal 17 pavilion
- 3th and 4th of August 2013: Body & Brein beach festival with sports demonstrations, interesting lectures and workshops
- 10th of Augustus 2013: HavenVIStijn, fish feast at Oudeschild
It just feels great to keep active when you're surrounded by the beauty of nature. Some tips:
- Climb the lighthouse to be rewarded with a splendid view over the North Sea, the Wadden Sea, Texel, and the island of Vlieland.
- Has sky diving always been one of your dreams? This is your opportunity!
- The beach offers the perfect space for sports activities for the likes of kite flying, a long beach walk, (kite) surfing, blo-karting and sea canoing.
- Have some fun mountain biking at the challenging ATB forest track.
- Climbing park Klimmen EnZo for daredevils from 11 years and older.