Today from 09:00 to 17:30
Your cart is empty. Shop around and add some products!
Construction works on Texel21 May 2019
Last year, the dike on the east side of Texel was made future-proof. The strengthening and raising of the dike ensures that we continue to have dry feet on the island for years to come. The works are set to be completed by the autumn of 2019.
We have created an overview of the construction works so you are not caught off guard.
Strengthening of the Wadden Sea dike
Dike-strengthening works on the east side of the island will continue until the autumn of 2019. Things to consider:
- The cycle path between the small sandy beach of Oudeschild and Zandkes is closed. The IJsdijk will also be closed from the beginning of June until the end of October. As a result, cycle junctions 37 and 38 will not be accessible. However, if you want to cycle outside the dikes, the cycle path between Ottersaat and De Cocksdorp is accessible.
- The cycle path outside the dikes from ‘t Horntje to Redoute is closed until June. However, the road under the dike is accessible.
- Stengweg between Hoofdweg and Kikkertstraat is closed to car traffic until August, pedestrians and cyclists will be diverted around the works. Car traffic can follow the yellow signs.
- Zuider Haaks, near NIOZ at 't Horntje, is closed. The road will be closed until 15 October.
- The cycle path outside the dikes along IJsdijk is not accessible until 15 October. As a result, cycle junctions 37 and 38 are also not accessible. However, if you want to cycle outside the dikes, the cycle path between Ottersaat and De Cocksdorp is accessible.
Up-to-date information about diversions is available on the website of the municipality of Texel.
Beach of Oudeschild
The small sandy beach at Waddenhaven Texel is accessible via the cycle path behind the harbour master’s office. The beach is partly open to the public, with a fence separating it from the construction site.
New nature reserve: Prins Hendrikdijk (Ceres)
A new nature reserve is being created along Prins Hendrikdijk. The footpath and cycle path across the new sand dike are expected to open at the end of June. The works are scheduled to be completed by the end of August. There are a few options to check out the activities regarding the reinforcement of the dike. There are walk-in consultation hours at the Waddenzeedijk and the Prins Hendrikzanddijk and there are also dike tours. You could also check out the experience centre (beleefcentrum) and visit the viewpoint at the Prins Hendrik.
Tip: Waalenburg nature reserve is now open! Discover the new cycle path or check out the bird hides along the renovated road.