Update: dike works
The dike on the east side of Texel will be made future-proof. The reinforcement as well as the increase of the dike is to prevent flooding within the island as without the dikes the towns and surrounding areas on the island would be submerged in water. The work activities will last until the end of 2019. A big part of the dike is now accessible again and/or will be by the end of 2018.
This is how we keep our feet dry
The Waddenzeedijk is being raised and the outer dike cycling paths will be modernized. The gemalen De Schans, Dijkmanshuizen and Eijerland are being replaced. The beach ‘Ceres’ along the Prins Hendrikzanddijkmakes room for a sanding area with dunes and salt marshes; Texel will be getting a new nature reserve!
What can I take into account?
Alongside the dike there are a few areas, which are closed off for a longer period of time:
- The outer cycle path alongside the dike from Oudeschild until De Zandkes is not accessible until October 15 2019. You may still use the road next to the dike.
- The road IJsdijk between Oudeschild and Oosterend is free for cars and bicycles. Nature reserve De Zandkes is accessible via this route.
- The outer cycle path from t’Horntje to Oudeschild is partly closed off. The beach is being converted into a new nature reserve. The reinforcement of the dike will take until the 31 of December.
- The Waddenstrandje near the Waddenharbour Texel remains accessible.The inner cycle path from t’Horntje and Oudeschild is accessible.
- Beach pavilion Kaap Noord is until the 22 of October 2018 only reachable via the Cocksdorp. You go via the Stengweg the volharding ( the perseverance) alongside the dike and for the way back you go via the Vuurtorenweg.
- The vogelboulevard is not accessible until 15 October 2018. Birding areas such as the Molenkolk, Ottersaat and de Zandkes are available.
- It is not possible to drive alongside the dike between Oosterend and De Cocksdorp until the 15 of October 2018. The Lancasterdijk between Oostkaap and Stuifweg is closed.
- Monument De Schicht is only reachable via De Hoofdweg and after that the Stengweg.
- Close to De Cocksdorp, the southern part of the Stengweg will be closed for cars until 15 October 2018. It is only accessible for cyclists until then.
- The Mill van 't Noorden is until the 15 of October 2018 only accessible via the Stuifweg.
The current diversions you may find on the website of the municipality.